Here’s how you decide what tasks YOU need to outsource first:
The goal of this exercise is to find the “Long, Easy, Not Fun” tasks. Outsource these tasks first and it will give you the greatest benefit with the least amount of effort. (I recommend you do this exercise rather than trying to guess what these tasks are!)
- Create a spreadsheet with two columns ‘Task Name & Duration’.
- Write down EVERY task/job/time-wasting activity you do every day for up to 1 month and capture all your monthly recurring tasks.
- List items from longest to shortest.
- Now list these tasks by how complex they are. Have the easy tasks at the top and work down to the most complex at the bottom of the list.
- Lastly, rate each task by how much FUN it is, in your opinion. You will now have your list of tasks to delegate.
You should now have a list with “LONG, EASY, NOT FUN” at the top. These are the tasks you outsource first. 😊
To get someone to do these tasks for you, exactly the way you want them done, simply record yourself doing the task next time you do it by using either Loom or Screencast-o-Matic. Be sure to narrate what you are doing to explain the “What, Why and How” you are doing it. You can then have them document these tasks to build your company's operations manual. To find out why your business needs an operations manual, click here.
Once you’ve done this, you will find that you free up about 50% of your time from what you are currently doing, as your top 25% of tasks will take up about 50% of your time. You can now start thinking about outsourcing more of that stuff that’s been on the back burner for months or you could choose to outsource more of the tasks you wish you had time to do!
Here are some ideas of tasks you can outsource, but seriously, just do the above exercise! Don’t try and cut corners on this one as it takes time and energy to outsource anything, so start with the tasks that will make the biggest difference to YOUR life right now!
Examples of tasks to outsource:
- Creating your operations manuals to enable you to outsource your work (for guidance on creating your operation manual see the next question).
- Email management.
- Social Media Notification management.
- Internet Research on anything - both personal and business.
- Creating Presentations, finding images and designing infographics.
- Tidying up spreadsheets, adding formulas and conditional formatting etc.
- Scraping data from Facebook or website.
- Collating data and producing reports.
- Updating your website.
- Profiling your clients.
- Researching your competition.
- Chasing up invoices.
Want to find out more about how you can effectively outsource all those time-consuming tasks to a Virtual Assistant easily and with the least hassle possible? If so, have a read of our e-book which is jam-packed with hints, tips and information that I have personally picked up along my outsourcing journey.